Friday, January 06, 2006

Weekly Album of the Week II #3


John Lennon experienced a musical slump in the early 70's which resulted in 2 (relatively) dreary albums; Somewhere in New York City and Mind Games [though both albums have their shining moments] were both somewhat badly produced and overly political.

Add to this Lennon's seperation from Yoko Ono and spiraling alcoholism/drug use, it is no surprise that Walls and Bridges is Lennon's most depressing album. Perhaps as a result of this, it also contains Lennon's most frank confessions about his own perceived uselessness and hypocrisy (Steel and Glass),to his own feelings of hitting rock-bottom (Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out).

The album also features a collaboration with Elton John (Whatever Gets you Though The Night -- His only post-beatles #1 in his lifetime)and Harry Nilsson (Old Dirt Road). As well as a the instrumental Beef Jerkey (which I recall Paul Schaeffer playing on Letterman alot) and the Beatles-worthy #9 Dream.

Walls and Bridges was also Lennon's final album before disappearing from the music scene for 5 years to focus and raising his second son, Sean.

Best Lyric: Nobody Loves You (When You're Down and Out)

Nobody loves you when you're down and out
Nobody sees you when you're on cloud 9
Everybody's hustling for a buck and a dime
I'll scratch your back and you knife mine.

I've been across to the other side
I've shown you everything, I got nothing to hide
And still you ask me do I love you (what it is, what it is)
All I can tell you is its all showbiz.

Well I get up in the morning and I'm looking in the mirror to see.
Then I'm lying in the darkness and I know I can't get to sleep.

Nobody loves you when you're old and gray.
Nobody sees when you're upside down
Everybody's hollering about their own birthday
Everybody loves you when you're six feet in the ground.

2 Comments:

Blogger slickdpdx said...

Nice post.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Yours is a great site. I always enjoy reading your stuff, and I always learn something fun to know.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home