Friday, December 16, 2005

Weekly Album of the Week II #1


I'm Back! This weeks Weekly Album of the Week begins a-new with Volume II (Volume I preceding) and this weeks pick was not a difficuly one.

Rolling Stone Magazine wrote that the Flaming Lips album Clouds Taste Metallic" sounded like little kids high on Robitusen [sic] playing the Beatles and the Beach Boys on Mickey Mouse instruments. How could this line not quicken a little bit of warm curiosity in your hearts?

The album begins with a song about an alien hospital ship which has landed and is examined by Government experts and the existence of Aliens leaves the narrator with a feeling like: Altho I know I am not as unique as I once thought I was, at least now I know that we are not alone in the univers. (The Abandoned Hospital Ship)

Other tracks are love songs about 2 astronauts who fall in love while training for a mission that would take them both away from the planet Earth forever and when it comes to be time to leave, one of them is late and left on Earth forever without the one they love. (They Punctures My Yolk)

And my two favorites Evil Will Prevail and Bad Days. The former is about fatalistic people try to make everyone believe that the world is fatalistic and as a result the world is fatalistic. The latter is about a hope that we all have that, someday, we will just pack off and leave everyday problems like jobs and money and find alittle peace.

On a historical note: This albums marks the end of the Lips' time as a "traditional" 4-piece rock band (were they ever traditional?) since guitarist Ronald Jones was to leave the group after this album was completed.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002MYC/qid=1134762884/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3163010-6616029?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

3 Comments:

Blogger slickdpdx said...

You'd think clouds would taste creamy, but that Wayne is always thinking outside the box!

This is the last FLips album I really like (not saying I don't like after-just not 'really like'). I think it IS the four-piece factor.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Paul Bunyan said...

Clouds probably taste metallic if they are acid rain clouds...

3:29 PM  
Blogger Pixletwin said...

Could be. I dont know if it is worth comparing the Lips Pre-Ronald and Post-Ronald simply because the whole band philsophy changed and afterward they were trying to accomplish different thing.

But as an aside: I dare ANYONE to say that Feeling Yourself Disintegrate (from post-Ronald The Soft Bulletin) or Do You Realise (from Yoshimi) aren't at least as good (if not better IMHO) than anything they did in the 'good ole days"....

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home