Friday, November 11, 2005

Weekly Album Of The Week #16


Some albums become so fused with certain parts of a person's life, that it is difficult to seperate the critical from the sentimental. This fall is the 10th aniversary of the pinnacle of my youth.

In 1995 I was freshly 21 years old, healthy, active, and in love for the first time. My days were filled with writing and recording songs with my friends, drawing and painting, driving around with friends till 3 A.M., and generally enjoying life and enjoying, what John Lennon called, the hunger of youth.

The album that was in constant rotation during this period was Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins. The album opens with a piano track which makes me think of driving home from work just as the sun is going down and seems to be contemplating and anticipating what exciting things are to follow. Every song on this album penetrated me so deeply, that I felt like Billy Corgan was singing about my life (and I know what a cheesy cliche that is, but there it is anyway).

Mellon Collie was the Pumpkins masterpiece and sadly the last album by them worth owning. Every track on this album is deeply rooted in the sepia toned memories of what I believed life to have been about, namely: Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and above all Love. Though youth eventually gives way to school, kids, minivans, and work, I still believe...

If you don't own this album, repent and sin no more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

You're right, this is the best post among the best. Ah, Youth!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

It is a great album, too, by the way.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Paul Bunyan said...

That is exaclty what all the emo-kids say about the bands they listen to now.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Paul Bunyan said...

Addendum to my previous post...Mr. korgan was infinately better than the Chris Cabrerra's of the music scene now.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Pixletwin said...

I agree. I should have added that, although its hard to seperate the critical from the sentimental, I believe that Mellon Collie is one of the best albums of the 90's.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Pixletwin said...

And blows away 99% of the crap that is played on the same radio stations today.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home