Friday, October 07, 2005

Weekly Album of the Week #12


After the Beatles broke up, George Harrison was quoted as saying that whatever the spirit which manifested itself through the Beatles transferred to the comedy troup Montey Python. I am making a similiar analogy when I say that whatever spirit it was which manifested itself in the music of kurt Cobain (or demon) upon his suicide was transferred a few miles away into the music of Elliott Smith.

Elliott Smith was a wonderful songwriter who exhibited through his music a very fragile and yet threatening soulfullness. One of the highlights of the movie "ROYAL TENENBAUMS" was the scene where, while shaving his beard and cutting his hair, Luke Wilson's character prepared to commit suicide to the tune of Elliott Smith's "Needle in the Hay." A haunting tune with wicked quips, especially when he sounds like a snake on the line "I'm taking the cure so I can be quiet Wherever I want So leave me alone You ought to be proud that I'm getting good marks." Something about the overall tone of his music just hits a chord within me, I'm not a drug addict so I don't why, but his music definately flows with me.

This album is full of great moments like that which is why Elliott Smith by Elliott Smith is my Weekly Album of the Week.

5 Comments:

Blogger shokupanmanbo said...

Good, even provacative writing. I'll think I'll check out the album!

7:01 PM  
Blogger slickdpdx said...

I love the album. Its a really beautiful album and his best by far.

Beware explicit language!

P.S. I think you need to turn on word verification to keep out your good buddies like adam!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Pixletwin said...

Thanks for the tip regrading adam.... Dona and done.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Phlem said...

eeeeeeellllllllliiiiiioooooooooootttttttt! ET phone home!

8:19 AM  
Blogger slickdpdx said...

Jocekinns pre-figured your entry by doing a "Figure 8" entry. Kinda weird.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home